Dr. Bharati Lavekar, MLA – Versova Constituency is an award-winning social worker recognized for her work and dedication to the field. She has done M.A (Political Science), M. Phil. B.J (Bachelor of Journalism) and holds a Ph .D (Uniform Civil Code).
Active in public life for the more than 25 years, is highly sensitive to the plight of underprivileged women, and has made it her life’s mission to fight for their rights. Her ultimate aim is the empowerment of women, both economic and social. In 2009, she established and presides over the TEE Foundation, a NGO with the singular aim of tackling women’s issues related to female foeticide, sanitation, hygiene and women’s education.
Dr. Bharati Lavekar has also been associated with various social platforms, amongst which, to name a few, are:
- President,’Aapli Molkarin’, Domestic Helpers Body.
- General Secretary, ‘Marathwada Lok Vikas Manch’, NGO.
Achievements have been celebrated and lauded across various paltforms. Some of these include:
- Ahilyabai Holkar Award for Social Work by the Government of Maharashtra (year 2000-2001).
- ‘Maharashtra Ratna Award’ 2005 for Social Work by Asian Institute of Human Resources and Development.
- Maitrin’ Monthly Award, 2005.
- Maltibai Tendulkar Award, 2005.
- One of two people selected by the American Government to study the American Legislative Elections in 2006.